» Topic: HOW DO WE FOOL A GOLD THIEF W/ A METAL DETECTOR?Bonner & Partners

Wednesday, 24 January 2018

Contact Us: 1-855-849-2885

HOW DO WE FOOL A GOLD THIEF W/ A METAL DETECTOR?

Welcome! Forums Gold and Commodities Investing HOW DO WE FOOL A GOLD THIEF W/ A METAL DETECTOR?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Heather Gorsuch 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

HENSE E.
    Participant

An uncle of mine had a negative experience decades ago that could be educational for us. During the late 70\’s-early 80\’s run up in the gold price, he hid gold and jewelry all over his University Park home near Dallas, TX. While on vacation, thieves broke in and somehow found every valuable he\’d hidden, even though many pieces were stuck in creative places no normal soul would ever think to look. Investigators concluded that the thieves had used a metal detector to find the loot.

This event raised an issue: How does one fool a thief w/ a metal detector? So far, only one suggestion has come to mind: Create a false bottom in an old toolbox, place the valuable items there, then fill the top portion with old tools and parts that no thief would ever desire. Leave the box in plain view. After the thief examines the junky metal in the top layer of the toolbox, he/she just might conclude that there\’s nothing of value there and move on to the next room.

Any other ideas from the floor?

CLIVE R.
    Participant

The false bottomed toolbox is a good idea. Replacing steel tools with nasty aluminum tools might balance the weight to avoid suspicion. Problem is that If the tools are nice, they will steal the whole box for the tools.
    Metal detectors and humans tend to look down, or up to about six feet from the ground. So hide things in a place that requires a ladder to reach, but don’t forget to tell someone that it is there because if you die, it will be found only when the building comes down, or the electrician finds it. Mark the box “radioactive”, sterilization guaranteed.
    One of my friends bought all the books in an estate for $500. As he went through the books they yielded the much despised paper money, $67,000 in cash hidden between the pages, all printed by the Fed.

The “find” was much better than gold which would have had to be explained at the time of conversion into cash… and taxed as all profit.
    A big pile of cash has its virtues during deflationary times. Argentine pesos or Cypriot £s are probably not a good choice, but the reserve currency, US$ are my choice. Where is my pile? I’m not telling you, but my trusted friend knows where it is.

Gold is a better choice if a revolution is expected, but as the developed world devolves, and Middle East troubles become more troublesome, I think the US$ will buy some bargains in a few years. I might even buy some gold when it is $1000.

TODD B.
    Participant

I agree with Clive. If you store metals up high (say in the rafters of your attic) they will be difficult to find with a metal detector. The thief would have to climb up the ladder with the metal detecting equipment. This is also a good strategy for hiding things from dogs. Unless the dogs are carried up into the attic, they won’t be able to smell anything that is stored there.

Another option is to get a good quality safe. Mine weighs 500 pounds empty. It’s bolted to the floor in a very tight spot. So a metal detector would certainly find the safe, but it would take a great deal of effort to move it or drill out the lock. Only the most determined/professional thief would be able to open/move it. Of course they could always just wait until you return home and hold a gun to your head and force you to open it. There are no guarantees, so best to diversify your hiding places.

Emma Walsh
    Keymaster

Post from fellow Bonner & Partners member:

Another option: You can bury it in the garden in a weatherproof container quite deep, then as you fill in the hole, put some scrap metal/rusty old tools into the hole, so as to make it look as though they had been abandoned or forgotten. If a thief with a metal detector finds these, he is likely to move on at that point

RITA H.

I think one needs many layers of protection to prevent and fool such a thief from even getting in the door which should be a strong one.
    Try a few NRA stickers on the doors/windows! Along with a very loud and connected alarm, this should deter the “gun to the head” situation whilst in the home. The alarm will give you a few seconds of warning to get out your 357 providing you remember to set it! A fierce German Shepard would be very useful in case the wires of the alarm have been cut. Look for signs that someone is already in the house when returning home.
    Paper over the windows to the garage so thieves cannot see how many cars are in there – for vacation times.
    For the metal detector – we have an electric water heater on a platform in the corner of the garage with all kinds of copper pipes coming out of it. It is also next to the metal furnace.
    Put your/some gold in something strong enough to carry the weight and then attach a strong wire to this container long enough to reach the platform so that you can pull up the loot when you need to. Bend the top piece of wire so that you can hook it onto something behind the heater but that you can reach. The electrician is not likely to be looking in this area in case you forget to remove your treasure. Only the removal of the heater would expose this cache.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.